Monday, February 1, 2010

Natascha Demystifies some Networking Myths


Myth #1:


You must know the top managers or CEO’s in order to network!

FALSE

This is just not true! In fact, how I landed my 1st internship at Neiman Marcus was by talking to the sales associates in the store. I set up informational interviews with them because they had something I didn’t: ~ inside knowledge of the company, who is who, cultural norms, corporate structure etc.

You must start right where you are. Don’t discount even the young person that rings you up at the cashier they know HR and you don’t.

It’s just a matter of starting the process. Your contacts will increase over time but it’s easier & smart to start where you can practice that 60 second elevator pitch and perfect it by the time you get up the CEO and top management.



Myth # 2:

You have to be a natural to network, it doesn’t take work!

FALSE

I had a client come in today to tell me she landed an Investment Banking Job at UBS in New York. She started with me and she was very timid and not sure of how to network. So we worked on: a. 1st her image, b. elevator pitch, and c. her reasons for wanting to network.

Once you have those key things settled then you’ll build the confidence to go at it because you have planned out what you want to say.


I remember I went to a networking event at Harvard one year and Fonzworth Bentley was there and well I wanted to meet him but I had to give my pitch in front of a crowd of hundreds. If I hadn’t thought about it the night before, written it down and rehearsed it, there’s no way I would have been able to deliver it. Well, I did and many people that were there remember it!

It’s not about you being a natural it’s about you being able to think, write and practice.

It’s also something you can learn, yes, I said learn. Now until my book comes out on networking – try reading two good books ;-)


Little Black Book of Connection ~ 6.5 Assets for Networking Your Way to RICH Relationships
By: Jeffrey Gitomer’s


The Networking Survival Guide ~ Get the success you want by tapping into the people you know
By: Diane Darling


Myth #3:
You have to be an Extrovert to be a successful networker!

FALSE

So not true! I have had so many shy clients (men and women) come to me and say but I can’t network. Well, it’s similar to what I said above you must practice, practice and practice.


Would you believe it if I told you my Myers Briggs Type Analysis said I was an INTJ ~ yes the I stands for Introvert!


I know, I know… you’re saying no way is Natascha an Introvert. I think Dr. Phil is too, now that I think about it. Well, it’s because we have the ability to adapt to our surroundings when necessary but I prefer to be alone. So I have the ability to step out of my comfort zone in order to achieve what it is I want to achieve.


Myth #4:

Networking takes too much time & it can only be done face to face!

FALSE

Remember the last time you were on the bus and you had a great conversation until you arrived at your next stop.

Remember the time you were at the checkout counter and the cashier was taking forever and you and the next person in line struck up a conversation while you both waited.

Well, it only takes you 2 seconds to say hello and deliver small talk, the weather, the outfit, the neighborhood, the cab that drove by with a sign on it or I’ve seen you around do you work in the area?

  • Would you believe I met a top Pharmaceutical Sales Rep off Facebook?

  • Would you believe I met an HR Executive for our state transportation system off Blackplanet?

  • Would you believe I met a Hip-Hop Music Writer for a top record label off Myspace?


Just be sure to be polite & courteous in all of your interactions and offer useful information to your contacts – it works both ways. You as well need to be of value to them.



Most of the time I just give, give, give with asking for nothing just so I can be in a person’s company and learn from them.



Don't miss the opportunity to make conversation with those you meet outside of professional settings; valuable contacts can come from anywhere!


Myth #5:

You need to know tons of people to network!


FALSE

NOT! NOT! NOT!


Listen, just start with who you know:


1. Your friends

2. Your friends’ parents

3. Your parents

4. Your parents’ friends

5. Your neighbors

6. Your dentist (ouch, guess what, my dentist is married to the sister of the Dean at my school)

7. Your doctor (where did he/she go to school, work, private practice etc. my doctor when to an Ivy League, can you say personal reference)

8. Your hairstylist (now think how many clients they have… hello???)

9. Your favorite restaurant owner (imagine how many people eat in there)

10. Your personal trainer (guess what their client list must be like)

11. Your past colleagues (yes even past jobs/internships/church work)

12. Your past professors (what and you thought all they did was teach, they have their own businesses & have published books)

13. Former classmates (so what are they doing now)


Once you list your contacts, you can find out more about them, yes even your parents friends by asking questions such as this informational interview questions: http://jobsearch.about.com/od/infointerviews/a/infointervquest.htm


SOME FINAL THOUGHTS:
37 percent of workers polled by Robert Half International said the biggest mistake people make when networking is not asking for help.
The Wall Street Journal reported that 94 percent of successful job hunters claimed that networking had made all the difference for them.
Sixty to 90 percent of jobs are found informally - mainly through friends, relatives, and direct contacts. The U.S. Department of Labor reports that 63.4 percent of all workers use informal job finding methods.


Also, constantly serving as a resource to others is the best way to create & support long term relationships. So please do as the coach does and offer help when-ever and where-ever you can. For example: forwarding relevant news articles and information to your contacts to build rapport and stay in touch is crucial.
So remember just believe in yourself and focus on your kind heart!

No comments:

Post a Comment